How to Apply
U.S. Youth Championship Application Process
The selection team is made up of individuals who are active in junior sailing. They can be race officials, coaches, judges, program directors or active sailors who know and attend junior sailing events. Chances are one or several of us will be at regattas and clinics that you are attending disguised as the person serving dinner or directing traffic in the parking lot, the college coach running the clinic, the PRO on the race committee boat and the college sailor setting marks for you in your sailing class. We are all those people and more.
Your application will include a list of some major regional and national regattas whose results are considered by the selectors. For doublehanded teams, the selectors are looking for your team results so you should apply with and plan on sailing with your regular teammate. Changes are only granted in truly exceptional circumstances.
Key Points to Remember:
The Application Process
1) Applications must be submitted online on the main page. There is a link for each fleet. You may apply in more than one fleet, but will need to submit separate applications. The application fee is $50 per application. The application must be submitted no later than midnight Eastern Time on April 1. NO EXCEPTIONS!
2) You must be a current US Sailing member to have your application considered. You cannot turn 20 during the current calendar year. If you are 19 now and going to be 20 by the end of the year, you are ineligible.
4) Review your past year's performance (March 15, last year to March 15, this year) and find out how you finished in the listed regattas. You aren't expected to have attended any of these, but if you have, you are required to include your results.
5) Complete the application:
6) Once an application is complete, you will get an e-mail confirming your application. If you do not get an e-mail, your application is not received. If your application is marked Pending, it means that you or your crew have not completed all the necessary forms. Pending applications will not be considered. You can go in at any time up until the deadline to modify your application using the log in provided in your e-mail. If your name is NOT there, it means your application fee did not go through.
7) Fees: Only the application fee (and membership fee if applicable) will be charged at the time of application. Make sure the name and billing address are correct for the credit card.
a. Don't put your name if you are using your parent's credit card. The credit card will not be accepted and your application will not be complete. Entry fees will be collected after sailors have been accepted. You will be notified when and where to send these fees.
8) Birth Certificates or Passports: Send a copy only if you are asked. You will need to provide a copy of your passport upon acceptance.
Notification of Acceptance: Each applicant will receive written notification by e-mail in early May. There are no pre-determined fleet sizes but a maximum of 175 sailors in total may be invited. A list of accepted sailors will be posted on the website on or about May 1st. DO NOT call US Sailing or the host club to find out if you have been accepted.